Re: "Star Watch" - from when to when?

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 18:43:37 -0000

one more thing I forgot to mention: star watch is probably also used as a punishment detail. Young men getting too rowdy in mid-winter? Standing the star-watch should cool down their cabin fever. Harvar's been talking back to the war band leader? Guess who volunteered for a week of star watch? In these cases I suspect full dusk to dawn watches would be expected.

In this way, of course, some of those lacking self control in certain contexts may actually become quite competent watchmen from how often they get assigned to that duty! When used on initiands and young initiates, it may also help reveal those who is called to Rigsdal Allfather in addition to another allfather sub-cult.

Of course people on the watch for punishment duty would seldom be trusted to watch alone--perhaps in the milder "we need someone for star watch, who's annoyed me most this week" case they would, but certainly not when for more blatant punishment.

--Bryan