RE: tribes

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 06:07:11 -0800

At 04:56 PM 1/17/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>This is a very important point. I've been doing quite a bit of work
>recently looking at the modern Talastari, and I'm hypothesizing that they
>have yet another conception of "clan," based around allegiance to locally
>powerful "chieftains" or "lords" - who themselves belong to prestigious
>bloodlines. Chieftains are still "elected" - carls can transfer allegiance
>to different chiefs, and a chief with no carls is no chief. A chief, of
>course, is anyone who could provide protection to sufficient carls to be
>recognized as a chief. Still called a clan, of course.

This kind of relationship exists even among the Sartarites. A person can transfer his allegiance to an individual, even to a hero band, which supercedes his clan and blood.
Such procedures are not really unusual when clans regularly operate together and individuals are seeking to get outside of their clan opportunities.

Greg Stafford
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>