RE: Alda-Churi Yelmalions and the Sun Dome Templars

From: donald_at_...
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 00:22:25 GMT

In message <ECOWS06M68yDnDlmiFj000258ff_at_...> "Matthew Cole" writes:

>So, a postulation: the Monrogh Yelmalians of Sartar could follow one way of
>fighting (phalangites) and the Thankantus Yelmalions (originating in Saird)
>a more Dara Happan way?

As this list is intended for beginners to Glorantha, can we please define technical military terms if we must use them.

Phalangites in particular has two meanings - the long two handed pike phalanx of the Macedonians and the spear and large shield phalanx of the Greek city states. The difference between the latter and a shieldwall unit is not particularly clear to me in spite of a fair bit of knowledge of ancient military history. I believe that the difference is due to the number of ranks and training, with the deeper phalanx being less manoverable that the shieldwall.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/