Re: Alda-Churi Yelmalions and the Sun Dome Templars

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 21:40:26 -0000

That is, if the Far Place Yelmalians are still around as a cohesive whole in another generation (a large-ish if...), the many battles of various sorts of the hero wars could have led them adopt many possible different sets of weapons and tactics, to let them better deal with sable riders, mounted warriors with couched lances, thunder delta slinger salvos, tornado elementals, or whatever their bete noir turns out to be.

Alternatively, some military genius (not Harvar I would say) may invest in re-forming them with some new weapon and formation--this would be harder in Glorantha than on earth due to myth issues, but this is the age of serious heroquesting, I'm sure someone can prove that really Yelmalio's pike was really a lance before he lost his horse, so really heavy cavalry is religiously sound, or whatever.

In Glorantha even more than in our history, however, new adoptees of a style probably do tend to need a generation or two to really master it. Spaniards and pontics tried to create their own legions at various points IIRC, and neither really stood up to veteren legions. If they'd survived long enough to have veterens of that style to train and motivate the next cadre maybe they could have compared. In Glorantha you have that, plus the magical heritage such as old guardians generally being stronger than new ones, and the added cost of switching magical allegiance (even if only "hero band" of your regimental guardian) as well as learning new styles.

So there is lots of reasons not to switch styles, but if ever there is a time for groups to make massive changes in how they do things, it is the Hero Wars!

--Bryan