Re: Digest Number 1898

From: Charles Corrigan <charles_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:53:04 -0000

> My question is, would/could they use
> the old clan wyter (with its presumably
> long history and greater powers) or would
> a new wyter need to be formed?

I think it is more complex than that. There was a recent article in a publication (I can't remember which one, DPLoT?) or in a lengthy email from Greg... The gist was that the clan was made up of 3 parts, the people, the wyter and (I think) the regalia/boder markers/land.

If the old clan was driven off its lands with little opportunity to keep/retrieve the regalia (including some of the important border markerstones?) and/or most of the people killed or separated from each other, then the old clan is effectively destroyed - but with the remote possibility to recover in the future.

If the new clan is actually the remnants of the old clan adopting survivors from other clans, then they can claim continuity and maintain the wyter - though in light of the major defeat, it will lose some significant powers.

On the other hand, a genuinely new clan, founded from diverse, unrelated survivors, will have to form a new relationship with a wyter (even if they manage to get one of the old wyters). Therefore it will be limited to the standard minimums.

For added colour from King Of Sartar: there are implications that the first chief of a new clan is "worshipped" by the clan members, so will have significant magical power and will become the clan wyter after his/her death (reference some passages about Lokamayadon and the Foundation Ritual, also Hauberk Jon and the foundation of Jonstown). YGWV...

regards,
Charles