Re: Alda-Churi Yelmalions and the Sun Dome Templars

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:09:19 -0500

Jeff:
> The Sun Dome Templars fight as pikemen formed into blocks
> of 10 lines of 10 men each.

The AH Sun County book had them operating in files of 16 or half-files of 8, presumably following the Greek/Hellenistic practice where pikemen normally fought 16 deep, hoplites 8 deep. Is there a more current source on this?

Donald Oddy:

> Yet a lot of the artwork and references show Yelmalions carrying
> a large shield which is totally impractical with a Macedonian
> length of pike.

It really is intended to show troops equipped with pike and shield. In RQ2 and RQ3 Glorantha Lunar hoplites knew a technique to fight with 2-handed spear and large shield, and Sun Dome pikemen (only) had extended this to fighting with pike and large shield. The shield was strapped to the soldier's body.

I don't know whether that is still supposed to be true in HW/HQ (personally I hope not), I'm just pointing out that the artwork you mention is consistent with the troops concerned being pikemen.

Andrew