Re: Re: Alda-Churi Yelmalions and the Sun Dome Templars

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:37:31 +1100

I'd certainly agree with Jeff R that Sun County, wonderful background though it is, is probably not a good source for building up Far Place Yelmalians.

Even in Sun County, a phalanx is a bit of an odd response to highly mobile raiders who don't want to fight you, just go round you!

In the Far Place, (at least as far as MG and a number of different campaigns are concerned) the Yelmalians - or their related cult forebears- came to the Far Place as part of wider, multi-cult groups that became the first clans. The hostility and separation from the Orlanthi developed over time, and is historically recent. So they were originally part of the clan fyrd/shield walls, or at least developed tactics that could be incorporated or work in harmony with that Orlanthi style of battle. In some upland clans at least, they may have originally worked as ground support troops to Elmali light cavalry. ('Never! Never! Over my dead perfumed ritually pure body!', comes the cry from within the Palace of Bronze in Nalda's Chur).

Over time, The Yelmalians looked increasingly to the Heartlands for inspiration and cultic sophistication, and probably picked up the 'spit and polish' phalanx look from Tarsh and Darra Happa. It makes sense as a battle style in the open Sharl Plains around Alda Chur, and gold clad warriors in parade drill are a good look to impress visiting traders and dignatories.

However, close order shield and pike/spear is **not** a good tactic in the muddy forested uplands, where there are few roads and even fewer open spaces. Of course, if the Aldachurians especially have adopted phalanx tactics as part of their Heartland/Yelmie emulation, it could help explain why Harvar does have trouble controlling the clans of the upland gors, and why he is increasingly relying on irregulars like the Gargarthi.

As I noted to Jeff in a private conversation:

>Hmm. Phalanxes are pretty useless in forest, and given the stead-based
>origins of the cult, I doubt if they figured at all in the early days.
>Over time of course, Yelmalians would start to form their own shield
>walls, and utilise their spear skills in group tactics. Loosely, you could
>call that a phalanx I guess. A Tarshite Phalanx?
>
>The Sharl Plains are another matter. I imagine the Alda Chur Yelmalians
>took to the entire Heartland spit and polish massed spears thingee with
>gusto. Alda Chur itself is surrounded by open plain, but to be effective
>in the gors they'd have to have more fluid tactics as well. Given that
>they **aren't**, it may be because they're still stuck in doing things
>'Yelm's way' - another reason why Harvar has had trouble subduing the uplands.

Cheers

John