Re: Household of Death

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:33:33 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Greg Stafford wrote:

> At 08:09 AM 1/18/2001 +0200, you wrote:
> >
> >Since we are priviliged to have Greg reading (and responding to!) the
> >list, I would like to ask a question I've been pondering on.
> >
> >How large was the Household of Death?
> Small.
> A couple of dozen people at the most.

Oh! I see. I had tought that is sort of worked up to a childrens crusade kind of a thing. They propably can get other humakti to accompany them, I suppose.

> >Originally we only had the son and two daughters of the Prince, and the
> >children of the gathered Thanes present who also took Humakts oaths.
> >
> >I assume the Household grew during the few short years of it's
> >existance. My quess has been that it ended up something like a hundread
> >strong, but I would love to hear Gregs vision of it.
> I am happy to leave your interpretation to you.
> It sure wasn't an many, but a batch of super heroic individuals.

I'm glad to hear it :) Now I don't have to write up that many NPC:s.

> >Also, how powerful were these children of Humakt?
> >(I use the Dragon Pass boardgame to help me run my campaign)
> Way powerful. Maybe *w3 range. They took oaths that GUARANTEED they would
> die when they used their special powers granted by Humakt. This is more
> than even most death-loving Humakti accept.

I see. I suppose they didn't have to use this in every fight though? Othervice they could fight only in a single battle, and what little there is on them in KOS seems to indicate they took part in at least a couple of battles (and ultimately perished with the fall of Boldhome)

I have a PC that is from the House of Death. Gerlef Ravenswing. So far I had figured geases on him in the vein of:

 -Never flee from battle
 -Always slay opponents
 -Defend the land of Sartar to the death and beyond
 -Wield only the sword Ravenswing

  (the daimon in the sword is from the era of the EWF, and kin to the    Ravenbanner we saw in King of Dragon Pass)

Gerlef is a 17 year old Sword of Humakt, and his skills are in the 10w2 range, focusin on physical combat. I think I'll add a deathgeas to him, so that he can get a boost to all his skills when he decides that this is the fight he will die in. Does that sound right?

I've assumed that the symbology of the Household of Death is tied with ravens, since a flock of them fell deat at the feet of Salinarg during the crowning ceremony.

There seems to be a connection to EWF era humakti practises and the Raven Banner with the household. The banner ensured victory in a battle, but cost the bearer his/her life, if I recall it correctly. Is this a coincidance?

Gerlef seems determined to find the Ravenbanner, to help his prince against the Empire.

It's great to have you on the list, Greg!

respectfully,

        -Mikko Rintasaari, the Adept