Re: "normal tribal life in Sartar"

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 20:06:27 -0000

> How quickly do you think that's going to happen for the average
> clan?

Interesting question. In our Seattle Farmers house campaign involving the Colymar tribe, Lunar tribute is collected by the Colymar on a tribal level prior to Starbrow's Rebellion (until the Rebellion, the Colymar are among the Free Tribes). After the Rebellion, I think the Slave Tribes are assessed taxes on a clan by clan - not by individual. The Free Tribes are still assessed taxes on a tribal basis.

> Then the
> Lunar tax collector is brought in to point out that if the taxes
> aren't paid he will have to make an example of a clan and do they
> really want it to be theirs?

I view the role of the tax collectors as informing the kings and chiefs how much they owe and when it is due. If insufficient taxes are presented, the tax collectors can seek relief from the Governor-  (and can recoup their losses from the sale of slaves).

> >> I think it's going to take many years before the gradual
> >> influx of missionaries, tax collectors and soldiers impinges
> >> noticeably on most ordinary clanspeople.

Although most folk won't be interacting with missionaries, tax collectors or soldiers - the tax itself has a huge impact on ordinary clanspeople. If the Lunar tax comes out to about a cow a person per year, how long can ordinary clansfolk keep coming up with that surplus without drastically impacting their own wealth?

Jeff