Re: Re: "normal tribal life in Sartar"

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 12:50:28 GMT

In message <com07f+btfr_at_...> "jeffrichard68" writes:

>> In the first few years I think there's going to be widespread tax
>> evasion as the tribes deal with ignorant collectors. Over time the
>> dodges are spotted and collectors start visiting clans to check the
>> figures. It's that increase in taxes actually collected that gets
>> the clansfolk upset. Of course after Starbrow's Rebellion the
>> collectors will concentrate on the slave clans both as punishment
>> and on the grounds that they are most likely to be evading taxes.
>
>I don't think there is actually that much evasion. I think tax
>collection works like this. Governor-General Fazzur says he needs
>about 8000 lunars from the Colymar. Tax Farmer Igarni gives Fazzur
>8000 lunars in specie for the right to impose and collect a tax on
>the Colymar. Ignarni tells Queen Leika that a tax of 12,500 lunars
>is imposed on the tribe and she better cough it up by Tax Day or the
>wrath of the Lunar Army will be brought upon their heads. Leika has
>four choices:
>(1) Refuse to pay the tax and run the risk of being squashed by the
>Army (not a good choice after Starbrow's Rebellion);
>(2) Force the clans to come up with the tax and run the risk of
>being overthrown by the clans;
>(3) Allow Lunar missionaries into tribal lands, become Lunar
>mercenaries, or otherwise suck up to the Lunars, and ask Fazzur to
>reduce the assessment; or
>(4) Join the Seven Mothers and get the tax reduced.
>
>None of these choices are all that great from the Sartarite
>perspective. The Lunars can live with any of these choices (until
>Fimbulwinter when nearly everyone chooses (1)).

I can well imagine this is Fazzur's response to Starbrow's Rebellion, an unsustainable tax to punish the rebels and bring them into line. However in 1613 he knows how much tax they have paid in the past and probably has a pretty good idea of what can be afforded.

In the context of taxation during the occupation as a whole we're starting in 1602 where the Lunars have no idea what the tribes and clans can afford. They will probably import the system used in Tarsh and make assessments based on what they can find out quickly. There may be some tribes which are truthful in what they tell the assessors but I'm sure the majority aren't. Then over the next decade they'll get better and better knowledge and actual taxes paid will rise as they find something that they weren't told about. Certainly the more in favour a clan or tribe is with the Lunars the less that'll happen and the more concessions will be granted but overall the tax take will rise.

The same thing happens after 1613 although there will be an initial fall in taxes on those tribes which co-operate. So the 12,500 lunars demanded from the Colymar in 1613 will be about thrice what they were paying in 1612 and assuming suitable co-operation will fall back to 5-6,000 by 1615. It will then start to climb again, probably by just a few hundred each year and those increases will be felt by all tribes.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/