Re: Location, location, location

From: Douglas Seay <douglas-seay_at_...>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 23:19:02 -0500

"yuskim1" <yuskim1_at_...> wrote:

> A) Surrounded by three tribes: The book says "Dundealos, Kheldon, and
> Sambari" and if I set my scenarion before 1618 the Dundealos will
> still be in existance.
>
> B) Hilly: "rugged hills" - even better. ;-)
>
> C) Out of the way or relatively deserted: "wildland" sounds promising.
>
> D) Not too difficult to introduce characters from non-Heortling
> backgrounds should anyone wish to play one: This could be trickey but
> the Tantrell Hills are not too far from Boldhome, the Swenstown-
> Wilmskirk road, the Lunar fort at (and patrols from) Jaldonkill, and
> Prax. So that ought to give me a fair amount of wiggle room.

B and C are pretty easy in much of Sartar.

D is fairly easy too, especially if the non-Heortlings are Lunars, Tuskers, Grazers, Praxians or other raiders/invaders like that. And the Royal Roads provide fairly good access to a fair chunk of Sartar, especially early in the occupation.

This leaves A and I think it is a non-issue too. There were some tribe and clan position discussions on the Wilmskirk list (http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/wilmskirk) right after DP:LoT came out and one of the points that was brought out is that Heortling politics will not create easily defined tribal boundaries. The names on the maps are kinda like "center of mass" approximations. Don't expect everything to be well defined the way modern political lines are drawn.   I seem to remember this coming directly from Greg, or at least getting his stamp of approval.

Which means, simply throw a dart at a map of Sartar and you are ready to go.

That said, my first thought was the Wilmskirk area, but I'm kinda funny that way. You can easily get Ducks and Kitori involved, and Beast Valley isn't far away. The royal roads and the build up for the invasion of Heortland or the later Siege at Whitewall means lots of foreigners passing through the area. Joerg even has strange ideas about an Aeolian clan in the area, and who knows what sort of ne'er do wells they attract.