Re: Birthdays?

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 18:34:34 +0000 (GMT)

Well One Day is when Heortlings celebrate Orlanth's birthday, so I do not see any reason why they should not celebrate ordinary folks birthdays too. In addition Heortling culture is a gifting culture, so it seems likely that people would want to give gifts at such a celebration, including a celebratory meal.

BTW I cannot recall where but I recently heard the opinion that gifting cultures tend to practice sacrificial worship. I give a gift to the god now
(sacrifice), and hope to recieve gifts from the god
(magic)in return. Hospitality is part of that give and
receive pattern, and worhip can be viewed as showing hospitality to the gods, welcoming him into our home and giving him gifts and in return hoping to be welcomed into his and given gifts. Interesting, huh?

Ian Cooper