Re: Birthdays?

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:29:16 -0000

This all makes perfect sense to me, and ties in nicely with the idea suggested later that the "public" ceremony is your "naming day" (generally) a few days later

> Birthday celebrations, yes (though not cake and candles). But at
family
> and trusted friends level. To outsiders, it's "yes, we're having a
> birthday celebration, and we're not telling you whose!" So no
presents.
> Just beer. And suitable religious rites for the day, carried out by
> everyone present.
>
> What do you reckon, does that make sense?

Another thing I thought about (although it doesn't necessarily tie in well with the above) - maybe the Orlanthi do Birthday Presents the other way around. Rather than everyone giving you presents on your birthday, you are expected to give presents to those who bore, raised and support(ed) you. You give thanks to Ernalda the Mother on her Holy Day, but you give thanks to your own mother on the day she gave birth to you.