Re: Re: Birthdays?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:20:08 -0800

> > And I suspect, as in many parts of the world, that people are 'one'
> when
> > they are born, and 'two' on their first birthday. Concepts
> like 'zero' are
> > for Lhankors or for other weird folk.

Hmm, looking at the counting going on with my my grand-neice (zounds! I'm a grand-uncle!), babies are counted in Days old, Weeks old, and Months old before they get to be Years old, so it's not so much a case of "year Zero" as of the measuring unit changing. You are "Six Weeks" or "Four Months" old, thus nicely alleviating the need for using "Zero".

That's what *I* have observed, anyway. Kind of like having your "Three Week Anniversary" when you're dating (not that I've dated in a *long* time...).

Of course, "Naming Day" might be some time around the 5th birthday, to ensure that the child is going to live and not succumb to typical childhood diseases (I seem to remember that some earthly cultures do something similar).

RR
- Richelieu