The Stormwalk Path

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:47:03 -0800

Jeff Richard asked me to post my writeup of recent events in his game. This represents two sessions -- preparing for the quest took most of one (and a fair amount of e-mail in between). While it's probably atypical in the amount of community support, it's probably typical for playing any well-known Orlanth myth.

Player Heroes
Wilms - devotee of Gorangi Vak
Korlmhy "Troublesome Poet" - priest of Orlanth Brenna - devotee of Redalda (as Elmal subcult) Kaylin - devotee of Kev
Jorator - Issaries, Orlanth
Nisk - Vanganth
Vonlanth - Orlanth
Herger - Orlanth

        King Kallai [1] wanted to talk with Wilms and Korlmhy. He gave Wilms the Lightbringer summons, addressing him as Gorangi Vak
[2].

        He explained that the Colymar had been badly mauled, and his nephew [3], the warlord, was still not fully recovered from the Lunar hell-magic [4]. Neither he nor the other tribes recognized Kallyr
[5], for she was not of Sartar's bloodline. There were rumors of an
heir. "We need to find the true heir of Sartar. Whoever it is is in the Holy Country. The Pharaoh will know who it is. It will be a dangerous road by land -- the Pharaoh may not allow a delegation from Sartar [6]. But he could not help but tell Gorangi Vak." [7] He said that Wilms would have to be Gorangi Vak, asking him to walk the Stormwalk Path [8].

          The king's advisors had a version of the myth and had determined that Orlanth's Ring would cross the Bull in two weeks [9].

        Korlmhy wanted the king to proclaim him a thane in exchange for Varsmaring support. [10]

        Wilms and Brenna went to ask Minaryth Purple [11] about the myth [12]. Jonstown was still in disarray [13], but Minaryth was present, and willing to help. He knew of five versions of the myth, with different heroes: Orlanthcarl, Vingkot, Ulanin, Gorangi Vak, and Derik Furman [14]. He explained that the secret path involved three or four landmarks, depending on the version of the myth: the Black Tree or Gallows Tree; a chasm with a river in one version; the Dark Woods; and Horned Peak.

        He said that the Returning Dark appeared only in Derik Furman's version. In fact, there were no trolls at all in the Orlanthcarl and Gorangi Vak versions. He pointed out that the differences might well be non-essential parts of the myth, and it should be possible to walk as Gorangi Vak by making sure to invoke the correct stories at the start, omitting all mention of trolls.

        Korlmhy and the others persuaded the Orlamarthing [15] to give all their magic, and part of the clan regalia. He also persuaded the Colymar to lend backing. For his role in organizing all this, Korlmhy was recognized as a tribal priest of Orlanth.

        Kaylin asked Beneva Chan [16] to help make a rope to use in the ritual. She managed to get the whole Ernalda temple to help.

	Wilms asked the assembled community to help him yoke Urox. [17]
	Jorator was worried about the lack of labor at the stead,
particularly during the heroquest. Wilms hired 20 well-qualified cottars to work through the winter.

        Kaylin presented Korlmhy with the magical Surewoven bag that she had woven in the Loom House with Orane's Spindle.

        The entire Colymar tribe provided extraordinary support for the long ritual, which began on Clayday and continued throughout Windsday. The clan ring of the Orlmarthing prayed to give Orlanth strength at the Bulltaming. Vonlanth, acting as Heler, armed Wilms as Orlanth according to the Arming of Orlanth ritual. Korlmhy was armed and accoutered as Vingkot. Then, Brenna went through the Saddling of the Sun. Jorator was prepared as Issaries. Wilms named his Four Storms. Herger was Finovan the Sword. Vonlanth was Helemakt the Shield. Nisk was Hedkoranth the Hurler. Kaylin was Enferalda the Supporter.

        Everyone found themselves under the orange skies of the Storm Age, at Orlanth's Hall. The air was windy and cold.

        Vingkot came before Orlanth and complained about Urox's destruction. He asked Orlanth for help protecting the Vingkotlings from the ravages of his Brother Storm. Orlanth decided to ask Ernalda what to do, for Urox was a stronger warrior. At the Loom House, Ernalda's kin were reluctant to help, for Urox was a mighty protector of the Earth. However, Kev Ernaldasdottir reminded her kin that Orlanth could be counted on to make sure the Earth was still defended. Ernalda told her daughter Uralda to explain how Orlanth could tame Urox by treating him as a wild animal.

        Vingkot found the secret path that Mastakos had once told him of. But Orlanth saw that they were being stalked by a beautiful huntswoman with red skin [18]. He hailed her.

        She was a foreigner, wielding weapons of silver -- javelins and a curved sword. She said, "I am the Hunter, and you are my prey. Submit or I will be forced to skin you." Orlanth replied, "I am not prey, but the Storm. Nobody hunts the Storm."

        She asked, "Are you not the great sky hunter? Did you not hunt the great sky bear?" Orlanth replied, "I am the Allfather, tamer of beasts." [19] Redalda and Vingkot acknowledged him as their father. Wilms nearly lost his identification with Orlanth, but maintained that he was Allfather. She became frustrated that she had been pursuing the wrong quarry, and drew her curved sword. [20] "Even if you are not the prey I was hunting, you are the prey I will kill." Orlanth belittled her tracking skill and mocked her claims. He sent the Four Fighting Storms against her and forced her to flee.

        They continued to the lone black tree, which had a noose hanging from it. A raven perched in its branches.

	They passed by, eventually reaching a rock carved with great horns.
	Stormwalk was wreathed in ice and snow. After several times
around, the cold and wind got so strong that they could not continue. But Vingkot gathered his companions, took a deep breath, and inhaled the Mountain Gale. The wind ceased. He said, "Valinkanth," breathing the Mountain Gale into the Surewoven Sack. [21]

        They continued up the icy flanks. There were Vadrudi everywhere, but they shied away.

        A pack of huge three-headed dogs blocked the path. Orlanth entangled them in winds and rope, and the Fighting Storms ripped them to shreds.

        Atop Stormwalk, a huge, shaggy, beast-like storm roared in laughter. "Have you come to give me gifts of tribute here on my mountain?"

	"I have come to make you plow my fields."
	"I am the untamed wind, the truest of Umath's sons. I am
violence and savagery."
	"But I am your master."
	The prayers of all the Orlmarthing reached Orlanth's ears.
Kev and Vingkot stood beside him. Orlanth threw a rope over Urox's neck and forced him down before he could react. A winged bull lay stunned. [22]

        Orlanth led the yoked and tamed bull down the mountain. They were confronted by the giant Baskelos and his kin. The Four Storms were hard-pressed, but rallied to kill him. Baskelos's kin swore hatred against Orlanth.

	Orlanth led the sky bull off the mountain.
	The group was back at Horned Rock, and could tell from the
stars that it was dusk of the same day. They had travelled to Stormwalk and on to the Bullflood Valley in a single day. [23]

[1] King of the Colymar tribe.
[2] Wilms Wilandringsson is one of the few (if not the only) devotees
of Gorangi Vak, an early Imperial Age hero.
[3] Kangharl Blackmoor.
[4] Used at the Victory of Hofstaring's Flood (a Lunar defeat).
[5] Starbrow. She had caused the Flame of Sartar to flicker.
[6] Colymar had not exactly left the Holy Country on good terms with
the Pharaoh. In fact, all members of the Colymar tribe have Hate Pharaoh.
[7] Gorangi Vak acted against unjust kings. Ignoring someone acting
as Gorangi Vak would weaken the Pharaoh's magic of rulership. Or so we presume.
[8] A well-known heroquest, which involves travelling to Stormwalk
Mountain and defeating Storm Bull.
[9] A clearly favorable celestial omen.
[10] Not really related to the heroquest, but typical of Heortling
social maneuvering. Most of the player heroes belong to the Varsmaring bloodline.
[11] A well-known sage.
[12] See Appendix A for the version we had.
[13] Jonstown had been beseiged not long before.
[14] Founder of the Pol-Joni.
[15] The clan of the player heroes.
[16] Wife of Kallai, and high priestess of Ernalda for the Colymar tribe.
[17] The formal request for community support, to be applied at one
station of the heroquest.
[18] Nothing like this was in any version of the myth we knew of. Was
this an attempt by the Lunars to mess with our magic, or were there similar events lost from the other five versions?
[19] Yes, Orlanth could be defined as a hunter. But that was not the
way we wanted this heroquest to go -- Wilms was trying to be sure to be Gorangi Vak.
[20] Clear confirmation that she was a Lunar.
[21] This was sort of a sub-heroquest -- Korlmhy had prepared for
this step, and went beyond the requirements to pass.
[22] A zarur, or sky bull, is one of the standard benefits of this heroquest.
[23] This is one of the heroquests that involves travel -- most
return the quester to his starting point.

APPENDIX A: Stormwalk
1. Urox is Orlanth's unruly brother. He was second only to Vadrus in his lust for violence. During the Gods War, Urox came into his power, for his nature matched the violence and trouble of the era. Stormwalk was a son of Veskarthen and a foe of the Storm Tribe until he blundered into Urox's path. Mighty Urox grabbed him by the head and twisted it into a spiral whose shape can now be seen clearly from any distance. From atop Stormwalk, Urox would go on rampages that destroyed great tracts of life.

2. Vingkot Father of Kings came to Orlanth to ask for help protecting the human beings of the Storm Tribe from the ravages of Urox. Orlanth decided to go with Vingkot and tame his brother.

3. Orlanth went to the Loom House to seek the advice of Ernalda. Ernalda's kin were reluctant to help Orlanth, for Urox is a greater protector of the earth. Orlanth acknowledged that Urox can be a great protector, but also reminded them of the great harm Urox had done to the earth, like the time he and his followers ate all of the plants on the earth to show how powerful they were. Orlanth pledged to defeat Urox without impairing him as a protector of the earth. With this Ernalda told Orlanth that Urox is an untamed beast and that he must treat him like a wild animal if he is to overcome him.

4. Orlanth travelled to Stormwalk Mountain, taking a secret path that Mastakos showed him. Mastakos had warned him that darkness shrouded the path, so Redalda Orlanth's daughter rode ahead as scout. In fact, trolls lay in ambush along the path, and began throwing the Returning Dark at Orlanth. But with the help of his shieldthane and the alert sun-wife, Orlanth defeated them and took the Returning Dark from them.

5. Orlanth climbed the Stormwalk Path, which winds around the Mountain. Icy winds and freezing cold tried to stop Orlanth, but Vingkot proved himself a master of storm as well as men.

6. As Orlanth neared the top, the Hounds of Baskelos attacked him but Finovan the swordthane easily dispatched them.

7. Atop Stormwalk, Orlanth confronted mighty Urox. Armed only with a rope and stick, Orlanth forced the Storm Bull to wear his yoke.

8. Orlanth led the yoked and tamed Storm Bull down from Stormwalk. Upon seeing the Bull yoked, the sons of Urox gnashed their teeth and wailed. Led by thundering Baskelos, Zarur-Shepherd, they tried to stop Orlanth with force, seeking to release Urox's lust for violence. But Hedkoranth brought the Returning Dark against them while they were still far off, and Orlanth defeated them. They were angry at Orlanth and his tribe forever after.

9. Orlanth returned to the Storm Tribe with the tamed Bull. Although Urox was still violent and destructive, he never again fought against Orlanth and his tribe.

--

David Dunham