Re: Visitation rights

From: blerg2 <blerg2_at_...>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 00:26:28 -0000

In message <200412291907.09078.geard_at_v...> Jennifer Geard writes:
> [...]

Heortlings were ALWAYS patrilineal (except for those that aren't, of course). Just ask the Ancestors!

Whether there was actually a matrilineal stage is another question, of course.

In some myths, Ernalda starts as a concubine of the Evil Emperor, and is essentially a "marriage by capture" of Orlanth (and thus quite powerless), until He actually stays around and sees Her give birth, the first time he did for any of his women.

The "Sons of Umath" stage of the "Storm Tribe" generally seems much like a biker gang, and the goddesses probably had as little power as women in a Gor novel, or a Yelmic family. The love of a good woman (ie, Ernalda) civilizes him, and only him and his "sons", whereas Urox and the Vadrudi remain more or less brigands (Humakt gets moderately civilized by accepting responsibility for Death, its wielding and withholding, but is still outside of society in many ways).

> >So she's still married to all her husband-protectors?
>
> I think some of her marriages were year marriages but other than
> that yes. However you need to remember there are many aspects of
> Ernalda and it's probable that an individual aspect is only
> married to one husband-protector.

No, she is married to Orlanth. She WAS term-married to the other Protectors...

In Heortling mythology, at least. In Esrolian, all the husbandprotectors  (including Big O) were just Year Husbands, and were sacrificed at the end of the Year, or sometimes the Seventh Year, until the Pharoah pulled a fast one. Tarsh seems to have a similar situation, except that sometimes the Seven Year Husband (aka, king) can get a renewal (probably by defeating a rival claimant, who is then made into an unperson).

> >My other impression was that the mythology showed signs of, er,
> >cultural change.

Welcome to Glorantha, where all sources are suspect!

Actually, most are completely biased and spout nonsense as much as correct information.

> Yes, and it all happened before time which enormously complicates
> understanding whether the different marriages were simultaneous
> or sequential.

Wrong way to view it. The God Plane (aka, mythology) is always simultaneous, except in the short term. The definition of "short term" varies with the myth, and the level of GodLearning that you wish to attempt.