Re: The Stormwalk Path

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 19:52:58 -0000

> A couple of quick questions on how you handled this.

That's why we posted it!

> I'm not sure from the write up whether the quester was Orlanth or
> Gorangi Vak?

The quester was cast as Orlanth, according to what he knew of Gorangi Vak's heroquest as Orlanth.

>Does this make a difference to you? I'm playing Red
> Cow 'by-the-book' so for my players, yes, it would make a
difference
> to opposition or strengths whether you do a quest as a hero or god
> (or even story).

Yes, I think it makes a difference. Rob Helm (one of our players), David and I had a discussion about this after the game. Gorangi Vak reenacted a number of myths - and you can walk in his path - the myths established by Orlanth were there already. Heroes can be the masks of the gods - however, there are more ways that a community (and the heroquesters) can bolster Orlanth than Gorangi Vak. If you are going to reenact Harmast's Lightbringers Quest, are you going to identify yourself as Orlanth or Harmast?

> You talk about the quester nearly losing his identification with
> Orlanth. Is this related to the heroforming rules, or simply how
you
> intepreted a contest result?

The Red Hunter Woman tried to get Wilms to identify Orlanth with the Sky Bear - so that she could get magic power over him. He screwed up the contest and had to spent a hero point.

> The heroes gathered alternate versions of the myths. I have always
> liked the idea - in KoDP too - that people will try to gather
> stories here to help fill out detail of the other side. However, I
> always assumed they were just different levels of quality of
> information about what you would find. I get the impression that
> your take is that you can perform different myths, perhaps by
making
> different choices. Is this true? Or is it related to the point
above
> about who you do the quest as?

I think that most myths have stations that are "essential core truths" of the myth and other stations that are simply "interstitial filler". As I explained to one of my players:

"Here's how I see things: your characters participated in the Bulltaming Myth. You performed the deeds of your gods and experienced the events of the God Time. You can now show others how to successfully reenact these deeds - and, guess what, your version of the myth will involve chasing off a foreign huntress, the hounds of Baskelos will be cut to pieces, and Baskelos will be killed. You got magic from this myth and that's how your community will reenact the Bulltaming Myth.

Someone else might perform the Bulltaming, but negotiate with a band of trolls, sneak past the hounds of Baskelos, and merely drive Baskelos off. They will get magic from the myth and that's how their community will remember and reenact the myth."

> There are some specific locations mentioned. Are these just color,
> or are you actually helping the heroes build a map of a portion of
> the hero plane (around Gorangi Vak?) that they can use for
> experimental questing later. I really like the idea of 'giving
> players a map' - it is emphasied more by Arcane Lore. We could do
> one for our game around Ulanin the Rider. I was wondering whether
> anyone had really started to play with this idea yet. (Of course
> that map might be constructed through play as much as known when
you
> start mapping HQ, but the point is whether the heroes collect the
> information such that they might be able to use it later. Or
> perhaps, whether a clan with a strong association with certain
> gods/heroes has handed down an oral version of such a map).

I am trying to give my players a map of various locations on the Heroplane. The Black Tree appears in at least one other myth I am aware of (check out Gathering Thunder). My players are pretty familiar with starting out at Kerulinoran (Orlanth's Feast Hall) and are beginning to go from there to other places. At some point, they will hopefully see that these places have other connections as well.

Hope this helps -

Jeff