Re: Re: Social Cult Ranks or Devotees vs Initiates

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 23:04:34 GMT

In message <crjp5a+5b09_at_...> "Ian Cooper" writes:

>For me a devotee is a magician, and like all magicians he spends time
>on his own, away from other people, involved in arcane activity.
>
>The 'largely spent emulating their gods' phrase has I think become
>used by most folks as a fudge to justify 'adventurer' devotees who
>have no real religious obligations but want the magic: 'Oh I'm Destor
>so all this adventuring time in tunnels and taverns is just what my
>god would have been doing'.

Isn't that a case of the GM allowing it to become a fudge? I would expect a PC devotee to put large chunks of time into working for and emulating their god. I'd be throwing challenges at them which expected certain behaviour irrespective of what the character wanted to do. If you look at the NPCs in Issaries publications they're initiates because they haven't time to be devotees. Other obligations (usually relationships) prevent them spending the time. In RW terms a devotee is a workaholic, their spouse has to book an appointment to discuss family matters.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/