Re: Re: tribes and clans in Tarsh

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 09:44:39 -0500

Ian Cooper wrote:

> After some of the discussions on the digest about how an Orlanthi
> clan 'works' I remember Johh Hughes commenting to me that we needed
> to find something people could actually play. Some of the differences
> in presentation of the Orlanthi could be looked as: how complex you
> want your game to be?
>
> Basic Glorantha - The Orlanthi all look like the Heortlings; local
> variations such as Esrolia and Malkonwal change a few parameters but
> not the overall model. This is enough for most people to play and be
> faithful to Glorantha. For Tarsh we have clans and tribes; local
> variations exist in that the tribal leaders are appointed by the King
> not elected, and Orlanth himself has been replaced by Earth cults
> such as Barntar, or Lunar gods. Newbies start here. G:IttHw lets you
> play at this level.

This is more or less the level the list was created for, though we have evolved into the second stage at times.

> Advanced Glorantha - The Orlanthi models has room for regional
> variation. The basic precepts are the same but local differences
> create variations that add a lot of local color to the story: For
> Tarsh we still have clans and tribes, but the clans have been
> weakened. They no longer elect the tribal king, whose appointees are
> replacing the authority of the clan chiefs, leading to a decline in
> the relationship with the clan and an increase in the relationship
> with the tribe for justice and protection and the bloodline/family
> for support. Increasing urbanisation and lunar contact
> creates 'civilised' Orlanthi who begin to diverge from their rural
> cousins, in custom and organisation. Migrate to this level of detail
> if you want to. Hopefully TR lets us play at this level if we want to.

As people start playing HW away from the Standard Orlanthi (whitebread clan), we see a lot of questions of this nature -- which is also very intriguing on the list as long as it remains discussion.

> Digest Glorantha - Orlanthi model! The Orlanthi model is a God
> Learner fiction of unity in a diverse and individualised culture born
> of phallogocentric attitudes in Western culture. How can you speak of
> a single model for these people when each Heortling stead is unique
> in conditions of geography, individual relationships,history, and
> myth. Your attempt to impose your views on their identity is far more
> a reflection of your own prejudices than any understanding of how
> these people live. I've lived with these people, I've bled with these
> people. I wear their tattoos, I've worshipped their gods, made war on
> their enemies and had sex with them. I can tell you may be how the
> Solid Oak stead works, but not the Flower Meadow stead. For the
> seriously commited or confused only; requires long hours in libraries
> and on the mailing lists ;-)

A bit rich for this list. Fortunately, there IS the GD. =)

> Ian
> PS Yes I am as guilty of the last as anyone.
>
> Ian

's cool. I hope folks try not to be too guilty of the third point here... This isn't the digest. We're here to learn how to play the HW game in glorantha, not figure out how many names Malkioni can dance on the head of a pin. =)

Jeff