Re: Social Cult Ranks or Devotees vs Initiates

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 14:59:07 -0000

Because it may help I want to quote from Thunder Rebels. But please note, in this discussion about initiates and devotees I am only disussing Heortlings, the position on this may differ in other cultures.

Thunder Rebels p.62-3

"Initiates have greater religious requirements than do communal worshippers...an initiate spends about half his additional time in sacrifice and worship...rest of the time he does mundane work for the temple...

[devotees] cannot support themselves completely solely by their own efforts...spends most of this additional time in personal activity that concentrates his time and attention upon the deity."

So I stand by my position of initiates spending 2/3 day a week on public worship, 2/3 working for the temple; devotees spending 2/3 on public, 2/3 working for the temple, and 2 days in personal worship activity.

As I result I still maintain there are about 2-5% devotees in an average clan. Some excpetions will exist - and they are the stuff of stories - but this, IMO, is the norm.

However I'm not sure this is going anywhere useful now.