RE: Re: Bashing RuneQuest

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:22:38 -0000

Since I'm good at falling out of favour on this list and haven't posted for too long (and have had whiskey - which I only really properly discovered last year), I'd like to point out (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong) that the creator of Glorantha has repeated himself over and over that RQ didn't come up to the mark (I forget the severity of the short-fall).

For my two penn'th, I'm glad to see the back of simulationist gaming in our group; I had *many* happy hours playing RQ in Glorantha from about 1987 until the long awaited heroquest arrived (no more 'next year!'s - still seems weird) but now we are telling stories with more life and momentum in a setting with a more documented depth of vibrancy and variety than other role players (and that just counts what has been released *after* the demise of RQ. AND, AND, *AND* we have a way of using myths, both canon and not-so - and going to the otherworlds and having some idea of how to write what goes on! Fantastic. RQ eat your heart out!

I say bash where bash is due and praise where it's due. I still have fond memories of RQ in the same way as I do of my teenage years; I'd not want to go back there.

And because I'm feeling whimsical:
"When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways." - 1 Corinthians 13:11