Re: Re: Bashing Runequest - why bother

From: Viktor Haag <viktor.haag_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:14:50 -0500

> All,
>
> Why bother criticising RQ when praising HQ is far
> more important. I don't feel the need to tear apart
> what came before to justify the improvements found in
> something new. If we're in a winning situation with
> something new, why worry about whether the old
> situation was a failure. I find that akin to "I only
> want to win if all others fail" or some other zero
> sum game. I like the accelerated play that is possible
> with Heroquest, and the variety of abilities it lets
> you use at great levels or relative power. I can
> revel in that without also saying "and RQ sucked at it."
> The only reason I could see for bashing RQ would be if
> you were afraid it was an evil that would return unless
> it was kept in disrepute. It's not like both are still
> in print and competing for the same market.

Hear hear!

And, I think it also needs pointing out that all hammers suck when you try to use them as screwdrivers. BRP (and RQ as an incarnation thereof) is a wonderful system for doing certain kinds of things. Even gaming of a certain kind in Glorantha can be accomplished quite happily, thank-you, with RQ.

However, I think there's also little doubt that HQ delivers a different, and perhaps richer, experience of Glorantha in its entirety than RQ can. But I still prefer RQ (and BRP) for the more "low level" and "gritty" kinds of games which, frankly, HQ sets aside in favour of grander scenes.

--
V.