RE: Re: Bashing Runequest - why bother

From: donald_at_...
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 19:54:33 GMT

In message <20050121191440.WDYA15415.aamta01-winn.mailhost.ntl.com_at_master> "Jane Williams" writes:

>I also seem to remember something somewhere saying that if there was a
>temple of a warrior god in a trbe/clan, then that temple provided the
>warband. Which would seem to imply that if a clan happens to have a
>Vingan holy site on their lands, all the warband are Vingan. Which
>sounds silly. Let's hope I mis-remembered, or mis-understood.

Would happen if the Vingans had the *only* holy site to a warrior god on the clan lands. While possible I think this would be remedied fairly rapidly by the menfolk. Might end up with two competing warbands though.

>> This makes sense -- if the temple is a site, then the temple
>> institution might just be the social group that has the legal
>> right to worship in that site. Several clans or tribes might
>> have rights to a given site. Presumably there's some form of
>> committee of worshippers or the like to manage access to a
>> site in this case. The representatives to the committee of an
>> inter-tribal site would probably be priests from various tribes.
>
>And wouldn't that be fun, if the tribes in question are feuding?

Or even have different interpretations of the rituals - for a RW example the Church of the Nativity in Bethleham.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/