RE: Contacting the dead (was: Re: Bashing Runequest - why bother)

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:41:22 -0000

> > Since the Three Worlds Model meant that only animists
> became spirits.
> > Theists have souls, I think sorcerors have essences or
> something, and
> > you need the right sort of magic to talk to them afterwards. Or so
> > we're discovering in our Upland Marsh game, to many
> mutterings of "why
> > does life have to be so complicated?"
>
> I thought that most people were still mixed mode worshippers,
> blissfully unconcentrated if not even "misapplied", which
> would imply that, unless you are trying to contact one of the
> fanatics who did concentrate, any of the models should work?
> In fact, I would assume that contacting the recent dead would
> have to be in common magic, as well.

That makes a huge amount of sense to me.

Unfortunately in the game where we hit this, the dead person had, 500 years ago, been a Devotee of Humakt. He may *possibly* have been a concentrated theist? At a guess? He's now guarding an area of not-swamp from Delecti, and very useful he is, too. It's all right, we've found a work-around thatall adds to the fun, but for us people who're used to RQ-Glorantha it came as a bit of a shock.