Re: Contacting the dead (was: Re: Bashing Runequest - why bother)

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:41:56 -0800

> > > Since the Three Worlds Model meant that only animists
> > became spirits.
> > > Theists have souls, I think sorcerors have essences or
> > something, and
> > > you need the right sort of magic to talk to them afterwards. Or so
> > > we're discovering in our Upland Marsh game, to many
> > mutterings of "why
> > > does life have to be so complicated?"
> >
> > I thought that most people were still mixed mode worshippers,
> > blissfully unconcentrated if not even "misapplied", which
> > would imply that, unless you are trying to contact one of the
> > fanatics who did concentrate, any of the models should work?
> > In fact, I would assume that contacting the recent dead would
> > have to be in common magic, as well.
>
> Unfortunately in the game where we hit this, the dead person had, 500
> years ago, been a Devotee of Humakt. He may *possibly* have been a
> concentrated theist? At a guess? He's now guarding an area of not-swamp
> from Delecti, and very useful he is, too. It's all right, we've found a
> work-around thatall adds to the fun, but for us people who're used to
> RQ-Glorantha it came as a bit of a shock.

The people that good Heortlings would go to for help with "ghosts" (whatever manner of ghost they are) are the "old grannies" - Asrelia & Ty Kora Tek. They are the "Corpse handlers and ghost talkers". See Storm Tribe 197. Humakt and Issaries also have ghost-busting capabilities. A Humakti ghost might be helpful towards other Humakti.

Shamans who follow particular Great Spirits can deal with the dead, but it's not a "common shaman ability" anymore. Certainly the Heortling Kolatings don't have that particular power (as a general rule, of course. YSMV).

RR
- Richelieu