Re: Request for Middle Sea Map

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:38:07 -0800

Kevin

>That said, I am plotting a series of adventures using Men of the Sea and
>have a question. When are open sea voyages *not* considered too
>dangerous to attempt?

The fact that each season is dangerous is perhaps a hint :-)

I went back to Missing Lands, which has some route maps. A lot depends on which way you're going. For example, in Sea Season, the Risk Run from Genertela to Jrustela is threatened by Banthe's Doom Current, but you may be able to sail north from Jrustela to Genertela and take advantage of the prevailing wind.

In Missing Lands, it looks like Fire Season and Earth Season are generally best, but again it depends on exactly where.

>The player characters would set sail from Loskalm and eventually wind up
>in Umathela. I figure that the journey would be in stages: Loskalm to
>Pasos, Pasos to Justralia, Justralia to Umathela. Any advice from you
>narrators of the sea?

In Fire Season, they have to deal with steady northeast winds, so this journey might work better in Earth Season. They'd have to wait until the doldrums pass to go south from Seshnela to Jrustela (or take a ship with oars). It takes about a week to get from Nolos to Jrustela, and there's plenty of time left "to sail anywhere they desire in the Dashomo."

--

David Dunham