RE: Re: Ley-lines

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:06:11 -0000

> I always half-suspected that the reason folk in England and
> France came up with such intricate sacred patterns linking
> bits of the local landscape was that their local landscape
> lacks big 4000 meter stratovolcanoes rising up from sea
> level. It was much easier for the local tribes to identify
> their landscape gods when they stood out so prominently
> (we've got dueling volcanic thunder gods, pieces of the moon
> that fell to earth, sacred islands, and so on - no need to
> make patterns to find them!).
>
> In good jest -

Sounds like a seriously fascinating bit of speculation to me.

(Looking round, I see no 4000-metre objects. Not even any 4000-foot ones, in this country.)

So those Orlanthi who can see Kero Fin aren't likely to build the equivalent of Silbury Hill, stone avenues, and so on.

But I suspect they're more likely than us, if they build anything at all, to do those chalk figures that only make sense from the air. As I think it was you pointed out, they fly!

In the bits of Britain that have mountains, there are generally stories about the mythic beings that live on top of or under those mountains. At least, I know several from Snowdonia. In the flatter bits, there aren't... And while the number of things like Silbury Hill etc is limited, this could just mean they were so subtle we can't see them any more.