Re: Comparative mountains and Ley Lines

From: pedrodevaca <pavis_gm_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:51:08 -0000

jane wrote:
> Quivin is 7000' above sea level: what does that make it, about 4000'
> higher than the land around? You'd have to go to Scotland to see
> anything that big, but we're still talking British mountain scales.
> Nothing like as big as the Alps.

But some of us would still call that a hill. I for one have always considered Sartari hillmen not mountainmen. ;) Calling Quivin a mountain is a long held tradition purely to flatter the landscape daimone there.

> But Kero Fin... That's seven MILES high. 36,960 feet. Everest is
> only 29,000 feet, and less spectacularly shaped. Kero Fin is serious
> "goshwowlookatthat" territory, and there's nothing on Earth that
> approaches it.

indeed.
However for close earth approximation you can check out the Trango Towers of Pakistan.
http://www.montana-trekking.cz/Baltoro.htm I think some of those photos fit my image of kero-fin pretty well. Well with a wee bit of photoshop stretching. :)

But back on topic.
I don't see Heortlings needing to 'build' any sacred sites. Their country is full of them. Wind, weather, and mountain tops. The Thunder Brothers did a fine job, no need to start anew. Considering a clan may claim ancestry from some of those gods, they may have no qualms about saying they built the mountains themselves.

As far as ley lines go, I like Benedict's Mostali anecdote for a Gloranthan parallel. This sort of pseudo-science seems to fit them well. Personally, it doesn't fit with my concept of Dragonewts as well.

I think dragonewt philosphical-physic would be something more akin to modern string theory. "Sure it looks like our road winds up and down and around the hillside with no particular efficiency, but if you envision it in 11 dimensions its really a straight line." :)

-Mitch