Re: Comparative mountains.

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:19:49 -0000

> Other features are also excellent landmarks:Valind's Glacier, the
various mountains
> mentioned, and so on.

And don't forget the skyfall! I'm not quite sure how high that starts up, but I get the impression it is also very high.

But as to getting lost...I can see a couple of factors:

  1. as mentioned by others you can't always see landmarks. Fog, low cloud, and probably more frequently: intervening objects, such as hills or trees. Even in the plains of prax there is probably a slight roll, which may well obscure the block if you aren't within a few dozen miles.
  2. This is a bit like saying "How could you ever get lost if you have a compass?" Or even "How could you ever get lost at night if you can see the pole star?" Sure, you can head in a particular direction, but that doesn't tell you if the stead is just over the ridge to your right, or a couple of more ridges over, or the other way entirely. For that matter someone mentioned how you couldn't get lost on the Rockwood mountains....true to a point, you always know which way is down. But still no guarantee that you can find that one narrow safe way down if you lost track of where it was.

Still, I agree that it does help. Makes walking around in circles somewhat less likely. And I'm sure rural and wilderness survival skills incorporate using those landmarks in useful ways.

-Bryan