RE: Getting lost (was Re: Comparative mountains.)

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 07:40:29 -0000

> > This talent is what I've heard refered to as the "Male
> Navigation Gene".
> > While not as prevalent these days as when we used to chase mammoths
> > (and the pesky things wouldn't stick to the interstates), it is
> > considered to be the root cause behind the whole "men never
> ask directions" thing.
> >
> > GC
>
> Uh, I assume this is meant to be humour? You don't really
> believe such things are actually biologically (as opposed to
> socially) gendered, do you?
>
> -Adept

I know, you expected me to join in on the equality side... Actually, the last I read, research suggests that there are biological gender differences, but they're of course tendencies rather than absolutes. On average, men have slightly better spatial awareness, on average, women have slightly better peripheral vision, etc, etc. But equally of course, applying these to individual cases is a waste of time. There's a suggestion that this may be due to, as was said, the "chasing mammoths" v. "looking for plants" thing. But who knows?

If it is due to these factors, I'd guess that Gloranthan humans would have the same tendencies as RW humans? Or am I missing some important point about the early development of humans in Glorantha?