Re: Forest navigation

From: pedrodevaca <pavis_gm_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:54:44 -0000

ALISON PLACE wrote:
> As Bryan says, there's certainly a skill to getting
> round in the woods.

Indeed, a skill most people who live near them possess.

> As I've always considered much of Sartar and
> neighbouring territory to be wooded like Ontario and
> Quebec.

I'm not a Sartar expert, but I don't see it as a boreal forest like the candian areas you are talking about. I think portions may be, but it seems like it sits on more of a ecotone then canada. That is to say, there is much more species diversity within and outside the forests. Species differences from elevational shifts, north south slope aspects, etc.

I agree that boreal forests are daunting, and I'm certain I would get lost walking around in them without trail. But for most of those forest's history people didn't live in them. I don't think Native Americans lived in their depths either (could be wrong here). Settlements tend to be along the fringes and folk venture into forests for resources. I don't think anyone in Sartar lives literally within the depths of an endless forest. Maybe Far Place is different, but they're all crazy up there anyhow.

> Even when they go raiding, I'll bet
> there's trails!

Sartar isn't as wild a place as one might think. There has been steady occupation and expanding population for several hundred years (well for several thousand really). I think there are trails everywhere. Trails that were already present when humans first reentered the area after the inhuman occupation. Cattle and sheep trails abound as well.

> There were
> wolves (less known about them then), there were bears,
> and there were rabid animals from time to time. Plus
> if you did get lost and all the grown-ups had to dump
> what they were doing to come find you, there would be
> much worse trouble!

I see the Sartar parallel being the sacred, magical areas where humans aren't meant to tread. Your Geography and Survival skills won't help you once you step into Tarndisi's Grove.

-Mitch