Re: Axes

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 14:03:07 -0000

My mother grew up on a farm, one of three girls (with no brothers). She recalls being sent out to chop wood was the favored method of dealing with moody teenagers, even girls.

One of her sisters still lives in the old farm house, and heats mostly with wood (this is in northern Ontario, and while the walls of large, notch-and-groove joined logs provide fair insulation, it still needs quite a bit of wood to keep it liveable), and she does almost all her own wood, although granted she does the felling and cutting into logs with a chainsaw, but she still splits with an ax. And she'd be in her late 50s now I think. So definately not just a "guy" thing.

--Bryan