Re: Axes

From: Mike Dawson <mdawson_at_...>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 13:58:56 -0000

A typical Montana winter, which is to say: Really horrible by standards of modern comfort, but a piker compared to the Wind Stop. I would imagine a typical Montana winter is like a typical Sartar winter.

> And how big was the suggested winter wood pile, compared with the size
> of the house it was to heat? About equal?

They had stacked wood longways in cords if I recall. The two father- son "team" had done best, and I think they had a volume of wood equal to the size of their (tiny) cabin.

Makes me realize a simple but evil way to kill of a rival stead--you don't have to enter their hall, just set fire to their woodpile after the winter has started. Not your fault when they freeze to death a month later, so no weregild. Or at least a very complicated law suit!

Mike Dawson