Re: Re: Axes

From: donald_at_...
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 15:14:10 GMT

In message <177dc5fd050203205257de13e2_at_...> John Machin writes:

>On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:37:34 -0800 (PST), donald_at_...
><donald_at_...> wrote:
>> They are forcing the Sartarites to change, from a storm god to
>> something more peaceful. I think collectivisation is anacronistic
>> and basically wrong - the Lunar Empire is not communist. A closer
>> parallel would be the highland clearances of 18th Century Scotland.
>
>Fair enough, although to my knowledge the clearances lacked any social
>objectives, like reforming the way of life of the Highland clans.

Nor does the Lunar invasion of Sartar, it's primarily a land and power grab connected with internal politics between Tarshites and Dara Happens. There are people within the Lunar hierarchy who have different objectives such as spreading the Lunar religion, helping the poor and just about any other motive you can think of.

>Collectivisation was a horrible catastrophe but, as I understand it,
>it was a case of it being "ultimately" for good ends.

I'm not sure what you're referring to by 'collectivisation' but it's probably straying off topic for this group.

>The feeling I get from the Lunar efforts seems to this idea of
>neccessary harshness, for the Orlanthi people's own good; not just a
>case of land-grabbing.
>
>As you point out though, the Lunars are not monolithic, some of them
>might act as if they were though?

I'm sure there are plenty of Lunars who talk and act as if their motives were those of the whole empire. Getting them to agree what the empire's motives are.......

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/