Re: Re: some questions on the Crimson Bat

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 09:27:47 -0500

Mikko Rintasaari wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Greg Stafford wrote:
>
> > At 02:24 PM 1/19/2001 +0200, you wrote:
> > >What is mr. is-that-a-polarbear-on-your-back supposed to do to the bat?
> > >Growl and weave White Fang at it from the ground?
> > >
> > >I know the numbers in DP say that Harrek and even the lesser heroes can
> > >take on the bat, but what exactly are they supposed to do to it???
> >
> > When Broyan and his associates deterred it they flew/transported to be
> > above it and when their magic failed they dropped onto its back and killed
> > all the priests. The bat then went off on its own, flying way out to sea in
> > fact, and was very had to locate and get back (even using the cult magic).
> > --------
> > Greg Stafford
>
> Yes, that was what I was remembering. Very clever. So it's still just an
> animal, when not directly controlled? It's not an illuminated
> (intelligent) agent of the Red Goddess, but a colossal demon-animal that
> has to be guided by the will of a controller to be used in war. (Like a
> huge war-elephant).
>
> That's something at least.
>
> -Adept

I don't think that a 'mere animal' intelligence is implied though it was hardly clever if I recal its RQII stats aright. I think that its more that the Bat, if its not being ordered around, does what it pleases. And running away to sea probably looked like a good idea -- if you look, its _straight_ away from the lunar Empire. Maybe it wanted to get away. Maybe it wanted walkies. Maybe it just wanted a holiday free from control and coercion? A casual perusual of the magic rules does indicate that the farther away a thing is, the harder it is manipulate through magic.

Jeff