Re: Gods and runes

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 23:07:23 GMT

In message <177dc5fd050206083145cde2c1_at_...> John Machin writes:

>>From reading the section in HQ and various websites around the place I
>have learned that making correspondences between the gods of different
>pantheons on the basis of their associated runes is Horrible
>God-Learner Nonsense; however, do the runes have an importance within
>a given pantheon?
>
>I ask this because, specifically, I am curious about how the gods
>worshipped by the Heortlings make it clear that a new adult has been
>chosen by one of the less common gods of Storm? Does peering a the
>youngster with Soul Vision let a god-talker detect the presence of
>runes? "The Sword is upon this one! Someone call the Humakti!" etc...?

Whatever way suits your story best, personally I'd tend towards events and actions from the youngster's life. I'd also make them fallible simply because the myths of the less common gods aren't as well known and there's a good chance there won't be a member of that cult in the clan.

Remember that in the absense of a clear sign a woman will be initiated into Ernalda and a man into Orlanth. This may of course be a mistake.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/