Re: e23, beginning supplements

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:47:43 -0800

Rob

> > In this industry, front-list sells better than
> > back-list (assuming that PDFs sell at all*).

>Is that because old list is normally unavailable as it tends to sell
>out and not be restocked?

It does sound like (and may be in part) a self-fulfilling prophecy, but I believe the numbers are derived from backlist which *is* reprinted.

(This is common in a lot of industries. New distribution channels such as iTunes are giving new life to backstock of music.)

>Does anyone know of any sea-rpg's that I could maybe plunder for
>ideas? Could anyone who has done it post a description of a ship to
>ship extended contest (combat)

I'd been hoping to use 7th Sea, but it didn't turn out as useful as I'd hoped. I've been getting a lot of inspiration from Neil Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, which has some fine ocean stuff (amid even more fine other stuff -- the sea density is fairly low, at leas in the first half), despite the presence of cannons.

> > BTW, if there had been a supplement, it would have been entirely
> > useless to me,

>I take it you mean a scenario book?

Whoops, I meant a scenario.

>Is there a general resistance
>to Issaries not putting out scenario/campaign books? That what I
>like about the Sartar rising stuff - loads of background and loads
>of scenario's.

I'm not sure I parse your sentences. In general, scenario books don't sell as well as background, since only Narrators buy them. Yes, you need to publish them.

Alison

>Another problem with the Hornblower model is that the
>culture of the French and Royal Navies, with their
>centralised commands, shipbuilding yards, supply
>systems, ability to impress large numbers of unwilling
>crew, and necessity of staying out to sea for weeks or
>months at a time, would all be alien to any culture in Glorantha

Right -- I'm pretty sure that no Gloranthan crew is going to ever suffer scurvy. You just don't have those long stretches of open water.

--

David Dunham