Re: King Broyan after Whitewall ?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:06:56 +1300

Andrew Bean:

>I don't have time to trawl through my library so can anyone tell me what
>happened to him after everyone disappeared from Whitewall. I am writing a
>tournament set in The Footprint in the year after Whitewall and I am
>curious where King Broyan is around that time.

He reappears in Bullford shortly afterwards, a event that causes Fazzur to lose his position as Provincial General.

In 1622 Tatius dispatches troops to trouble Broyan and also releases chaos from the print. Broyan destroys the Lunar army and raises the whole of Heortland in revolt. But he's troubled by wolf pirates and chaos from the Print (the weakness of Larnste), and the Lunars are quickly able to re-establish control (by working with the Chaos monsters) and Broyan goes into hiding.

In 1623, he appears in Esrolia and chases away the Grazers and invades the lands of the Red Earth Alliance. It's not clear what happens then, when Tatius sends more troops but he apparently was at the battle of Pennel Ford and when the Lunars were defeated, crossed the mirrorsea to fight the battle of Zarn Kados (Milran). His victory here liberates Heortland.

In 1624, he's forced to betray the City of Wonders to Harrek the Beserk in order for peace between the Heortlanders and the Wolf Pirates. He's very unhappy about this.

In 1625, he invades Sartar. Tatius releases an aspect of the Pharoah's soul which falls upon Broyan and his army for vengeance. Because Broyan had betrayed the City of Wonders to Harrek, he is killed.

>Also does he lay claim to the Kingship of Heortland/Hendreiki (and thus
>must have some link to the Larnsti he can justify it with) or just the
>Volsaxi ?

To be King of Heortland, one has to be a noble. Since they wield Hendreik's Freedom (Glorantha: Intro p142), the King is found from among them. So yes, IMO Broyan is crowned King of Heortland although he has only controlled the Volsaxi at best.

The trouble goes back to Sir Richard the Tiger-hearted. IMO Richard was a favourite of King Owain (how close they were is probably a matter for your campaign). Although from Seshnela, he had served valiantly in Heortland, charmed the Heortland nobility with his wit and good nature. He's also a leading representative of the Quinpolic League and does a lot to impress the Heortland nobles into joining the Quinpolic creed (Malkionism with riches).

However certain among the court hated Sir Richard because he was an alien, and their leader was Broyan, Earl of the Volsaxi. Tough, Coarse and Crude (think of Brian Blessed as King Edward V in Blackadder). His rough nature is antithetical to Richard's good charm and his least appealing feature is his tasteless sense of humour - he makes unfunny crude jokes about Sir Richard's lisp for example.

When the Old King dies (killed as a result of a scorpion man invasion), Sir Richard is the natural successor (Broyan and his rowdy yahoos notwithstanding). Sir Richard decides to reform the Kingdom, ultimately transforming it into a Malkioni land. To do this, he has himself crowned as King of Malkonwal. This gives Broyan his opening to have himself crowned King of Heortland by the traditional rites and Civil War begins.

The Civil War is what allows the Lunars to conquer the place so easily although they do use chaotic magic (the Bat, the Print) to strike at the weakness of Hendreik's freedom: chaos.

All IMO FWIW.

--Peter Metcalfe