Re: HQ followup for kids?

From: David Millians <millians.david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 09:13:02 -0500

>"zomben" <zomben_at_...>
>"Rob" <robert_m_davis_at_...>
><parental_unit_2_at_y...>
>Subject: Re: HQ followup for kids?

        I work with games and education issues all of the time, and this is right on. Kids get loads from role playing. I've found Glorantha itself with all of its mythic undertones to resonate with kids as young as six. On the other hand, historical or literary settings have also been successful. My students role play, often in LARP form, every week. It brings the curriculum to life.

>Lastly, if you're not planning on doing so already, I'd prepare a
>simple scenario for the parents to play

        I usually invite parents to watch a game session. Most don't even have time for that, but the offer is important. Most parents want to know that I'm not a child-sacrificin' wacko more than they want to explore the game.

>ALSO! Make sure that whatever the characters have to do, it's
>_heroic_ or at least _positive_ in nature

        Content is important for any game group. It's even more sensitive with kids.

        David

David Millians
Games in Education
Paideia School