Re: Emergency Marriage (was Helering Sacred Marriage)

From: ALISON PLACE <alison_place_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 07:20:09 -0800 (PST)

In Roman law, you were married if you said you were. No witnesses or ceremonies necessary. If you called each other wife and husband, if you lived together, if the woman brought a dowry to the marriage, if friends remembered attending some obviously nuptual ceremony; any of that would do in a court of law to prove you were married. You both had to be free, of course. (Divorce could be equally easy, by the way.)

Given that, I would say that what you would want when time was of the essence was to declare yourselves wed in front of a witness. That should do. If you have the time to make it slightly more formal by declaring what dowry or bridegift there will be later, sharing food and drink, and finally retiring to a private spot for a quick consummation, that should seal it. Do it in front of the shrine of Ernalda if you can, and a priestess as witness to the vow is always nice. The families may scream like hell, but provided the spouses are of age, I would consider it valid.

Alison

> Jennifer

I might have asked this before, but if you wanted to get married in a hurry -- one partner was going off to a battle or duel that might prove fatal -- what's the minimum ceremony/declaration/action that would form a valid marriage?

Do You Yahoo!?