Re: Marriage: Helering mythic marriage

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:56:46 GMT

In message <200502242228.37240.geard_at_...> Jennifer Geard writes:

>> Because this happened before time, he may well have seen his children
>> grow up before making his next leap.
>
>I had wondered about that. It would be a bit odd to heroquest: rather
>like one of those dreams or Star Trek episodes where the protagonist
>gets to live a whole life and then return to the "real" world with
>the memories.

Sounds right, heroquesting can be very wierd.

>> So how does a woman sucked into such a HQ see the result? - that'll
>> depend on the goddess involved. Ernalda, for example, will take him
>> as one of her husband-protectors.
>
>Ah, but how will that happen? What makes this one a husband-protector?
>Is it just a term that's applied after the fact to the gods who hung
>around for a while and actually did some work around the place?

As far as I can tell it imposes an obligation on the husband to respond if she calls on him for aid. In Sartar she calls on Orlanth, in Sun County Yelmalio while in Esrolia she calls on any and all.

>I note that Donald and Alison have quite different takes on the basis of
>marriage: whether it's primarily an agreement between individuals or a
>contract between clans. I suspect that it's usually a bit of both, but for
>reasons of story I'm particularly interested in the cases at the extremes.

I'm going off the emphasis on marriage contracts in TR and it's interaction with odal property which is a difficult concept to people used to modern ideas of property.

>> As far as followers of
>> other gods go, it'll affect the HQ but not the contractual
>> elements of the marriage. Humatki, of course, can't get married -
>> as far as the clans are concerned they're dead.
>
>Can I direct you to the box on ST p. 106, and particularly to the Humakti
>"Hoods" philosophy of marriage? It does seem to be an option, and I imagine
>that negotiations for the marriage of a resheathed Humakti might somewhat
>resemble similar negotiations for someone from the other 85%. Somewhat...

Yes, resheathing does return Humatki to a clan. IMG it's rare and a bit of a wimpish option (Are you dedicated to Humakt or not?). So Humatki who chose the Hoods philosphy tend to have informal relationships rather than marriages.

>Heort's law prescribes a fine for a Humakti sharing a hearth with a pregnant
>woman (sorry, can't find the citation now: it's in an oddly-placed box
>somewhere). That makes it hard when the Humakti _is_ the pregnant woman, but
>assuming the Humakti is the father you've got a range of options, from
>separate living quarters, to finding a legalism which means you're not
>tecnically sharing a hearth, to deciding to ignore that particular law
>because Malan's never seen the need to enforce it.

I'm not sure a Humatki woman *can* bear a child, doesn't seem right to me although I don't think there's anything which definitely says so. Given Heortling living arrangements a prohibition against sharing a hearth effectively means not living in the same building and in most steads there will probably be at least one woman pregnant at any time. So I think in general Humatki will live on their own or share barracks with the clan warband. Heort's law reflects a belief that the presence of Humatki will damage the unborn child so the women will enforce it pretty strictly.

I'd much rather keep Humakti as a bunch of wierd death cultists than let them become a standard warrior cult with some cool magic.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/