Re: Re: Quick morality question for heortling

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruceferrie_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 00:46:56 +0000

Stephen Rennell wrote:

> I'm told that there was a plant available in Roman times that was a
> fairly reliable contraceptive, but that it was made extinct through
> overharvesting to supply the demand of Roman women. (It came up in
> conversation, sorry no references).

Was it silphium?

> If children are raised by the clan, not by a nuclear family, then does
> it matter if Uncle Valmar never married and had children, as long as
> he's there to help raise his brother's children? The limiting factor
> is not men who want children as much as it is women who want children.

Some time ago, I read an anthropology text arguing that having a number of childless adults around can be a major benefit to a 'primitive' community, as it provides extra labour to look after the other adult's kids, farm, gather food or whatever it may be. I think it was based on studying groups of chimps which, of course, aren't exactly the same as Heortlings but there you go...

As long as, like other people have said, you don't have *too* many people deciding not to procreate.

Regards,

Bruce

Regards,

Bruce