Re: Re: Quick morality question for heortling

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruceferrie_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 00:53:08 +0000

Oliver D. Bernuetz wrote:

> And why would a clan NOT want its men to procreate? More men=more
> warriors, craftsmen, etc. Replacements for people killed, etc.
> Besides the urge to procreate is a pretty strong human impulse and it
> would probably be considered odd if someone in Heortling society
> decided not to have children. They're extra workers, more spears in
> the fyrd, someone to yell agreement at moots, comfort in old age,
> etc.

I think the degree of pressure exerted is related to how well the clan is doing. If everything's good, the summers are warm, harvests are plentiful and there are lots of kids and grandkids around, then nobody's going to trouble Frodi to settle down with a nice lass and stop dallying with his boyfriend.

But when one of your steads has been burned by the Lunars, they've taken a quarter of the herd in taxes and black fever carried off most of the children, then every adult in the clan is going to be pressured to, ahem, do their bit.

And when it comes down to it, complications and pressure from relatives are MGF and much more interesting than when everything is harmonious and happy. Aren't they? :)

Regards,

Bruce