Re: contraception

From: donald_at_...
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 23:16:38 GMT

In message <20050225121020.24792.qmail_at_...> Jane Williams writes:

> --- Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_...> wrote:

>> It's also curious that 'Aid Contraception' is a part of the
>> 'Bless Mothers' affinity, since the whole point of
>> contraception is to avoid becoming a mother...
>
>Since in the RW I work for a firm that produces
>pregnancy tests, contraceptive devices, and fertility
>monitors, I don't find this odd at all. Roughly the
>same technology for all three things.

Then there's my mother's view of contraception. That some planning is necessary to the health of the mother, particularly not to have pregnancies too close together. And less risk to the mother reduces mortality among the children who are born.

I don't know if there's research to support that view but it is the experience of someone who remembers women in their 30's worn out through having a baby a year after marriage.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/