Re: Heortling marriage

From: ALISON PLACE <alison_place_at_...>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 10:20:00 -0800 (PST)

While I do believe that Heortling marriage can be contracted with a minimum of formality, that doesn't mean that the clans need accept the wishes of the couple. The parents and clan elders are perfectly free to come down with big spiky boots on any such unsanctioned alliance.

I would think that most young pairs would be quite respectful of the prerogatives of their elders. After all, your future livelihood depends on them. While young love and lust are powerful forces, I'm sure that there's so many stories of just such impulsive matches ending up with tragedy all 'round, with feuds over property and children, that few would really try it.

Also, with the relaxed attitude towards pre-marital sex/unwedded mothers that is apparently GAG for Heortling societies, the lust problem shouldn't be a huge factor. Pregnancy might be used as a negotiation device though, as in if the father's clan wants this child, better let him marry the mother-to-be.

If there is serious risk of one of the pair dying, you really, really want a witness, but that's about all.

Yahoo! Mail - Easier than ever with enhanced search. Learn more. http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250