Re: Re: Elemental Associations

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:26:18 +1300

At 12:07 AM 2/28/05 +0000, you wrote:

>Me>No. What the rules say (HQ p79) is that there is a metal
> >Brass which is almost identical to Bronze and that it is
> >rarely refined.

>And which has the same Gloranthan name that bronze had in
>RQ3; that's my point.

Except that the HQ rules distinguish _between_ brass and bronze. It talks about Bronze first then mentions other metals, one of which is brass. Thus you cannot say that the HQ rules state both metals are the same given that the "almost identical" implies the opposite.

>It's unlikely, IMO, that they recognise there to be a difference
>between the two metals (bronze and brass), and yet refer to
>them by the same name anyway.

The only problem is that the reference which calls Hu-metal bronze does not describe Brass yet we know from other gloranthan sources that there are Brass Dwarves. Given that the ES reference is known to be false on one other point (namely that Lodril has nothing to do with Aluminium), that it calls bronze with a term that another reference calls brass is probably an intentionally false statement.

IMO there are three bronze-like metals:

One is made from tin and copper and associated with Storm.

Another is made from copper and zinc (Lo-metal) and is associated with the Masculine Earth (ie Lodril, Pamalt, etc)

A third is made from copper and arsenic and is associated with the Dark Earth (Maran Gor, Babeester Gor etc).

--Peter Metcalfe