Re: Malia vs Mallia

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 18:17:24 -0800

Mikko wondered about the correct spelling.

I'd use King of Dragon Pass as the reference. We went to extraordinary lengths to ensure consistency within the game, and IIRC this is one of the issues that motivated that.

Jeff

>Avd for what it is worth, I use a lot of Norse loan words for the
>Heortlings and David uses a lot of Old Irish loan words for the East
>Ralians.

Well, sort of. What I do is be purposely ignorant of the correct pronunciation of Irish, and pretend they're written in English. Then I correct the spelling mistakes. My intent is that no speaker of Old Irish would recognize them, because East Ralios is not Ireland.

I don't recommend that anyone use any existing language for a game, for the same reason you shouldn't be saying "Heortlings are Vikings."

--

David Dunham