RE: Re: Other chieftan gods

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:35:38 -0000

> >I personally think there is
> > an Issaries Rex or Issaries the Chief subcult out there somewhere.

Jeff:

> I respectfully disagree. ...
>
> Issaries has no ruler aspect - he's strictly a communication,
> travel and psychopomp god.

Except for, very much IMG, at Duck Point. Where an incredibly mixed-up mess of Duck and Orlanthi myths, plus intervention by Sartar as a Hero of Issaries left them with Issaries as the Ruler and establisher of Law, complete with Lawstaff. The symbol of any god of travel is of course not the Staff or even the Mule, but the Paddle. And Orlanth seems to appear as Storm, and as Adventurer who made promises and hasn't yet got around to keeping them (please can we have our Flight back?), but not as any sort of stable ruler. I was never quite sure whether Issaries was married to the River or to Grandmother Duck (maybe both)....

As I say, IMG, and only in one place in that. It was fun.