Re: Other chieftan gods

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 19:00:21 -0000

Yes....but!

Yes, I agree that it makes sense that the Orlanthi can only support a few leadership sub-cults. And I note that the Elmal cult is real a clan chieftan cult, not a King cult.

BUT!
When I think to the clan questionnaires, the "Making of the Storm Tribe" myth in KoDP and various other places, it seems clear to me that many of the gods that joined the storm tribe were leaders of people. That is, there was the "marks on barks" clan following Lankor My, there was the "fight anything" clan following Vadrus, and so on. These all became part of the Storm Tribe before the Vingkotling age.

Presumably that means that Orlanth was a greater leader, and I don't think any of the other storm tribe gods should have his "king" magic. But it seems that lost in distant myth there could well be "chief" level sub-cults for many of the Storm Tribe gods. The reasons that they are not currently worshipped are: - These gods mostly gave up their leadership functions during the Storm Age
- There were about 2000 Heortlings who survived the darkness. Of COURSE they forgot more than they remembered. The only god with much of a leadership function who was around in Kerofinnela during the darkness was Elmal, and his leadership sub-cult survived. (I bet there is an Odaylan leadership sub-cult up in Sylila though). - Of course some of the gods were never good leaders, and may never had had this function even if they did lead people (I suspect Yinkin would be like this)

So I agree with Light Castle, by interpreting "work" to mean explorative hero questing, and "any" to mean "Orlanthi all" or "most."

Which is to say that in most cases it is probably harder to get their leadership magic than it would be lead without it!

--Bryan