RE: Other chieftan gods

From: donald_at_...
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 21:43:07 GMT

In message <422EEF8B.5904.15B675_at_localhost> "Light Castle" writes:

>On 9 Mar 2005 at 7:29, Jane Williams wrote:
>
> > Yes, that's the idea. The "Orlanth the leader" slot is taken by someone
>> who isn't really a very good fit, but is a more useful leader at the
>> moment. A Garzeen worshipper, say.
>>
>> The slots, or holes to fill, stay the same. The extent to which the
>> people in them fit them drops. Square pegs in round holes head towards
>> the norm :(
>
>I think this happens fairly often in these troubled times. But I'm more
>interested in cases where people outside might call the clan a certain
>type because of a consistent difference. i.e. An Elmal clan. Or even
>a Humakt clan just because of the excess of Humakti. A Peace clan for
>one that has a greater than normal number of Chalana Arroy worshippers.

The latter being any number greater than one. With all the healing subcults of Ernalda I don't think there are many CA worshippers among the Heortlings. Those that exist tend to be outside the clans, attaching themselves to tribal kings as a way of avoiding clan politics and feuds.

As far as substitutes for Orlanth Dar go I think the commonest is the Orandana subcult of Ernalda. To the Lunars that may well be the definition of a "peace clan" and it's acceptably within Heortling mythology.

At the same time I have to agree that for most leaders the magic isn't that important - clans are relatively small and only the exceptional leader will have a mastery in leadership affinities simply because many don't get time to build then up.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/